JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 25-06-2013 , 02:02 PM #1
Athy55

Default Simple sewing

Could anyone give me some ideas for simple sewing projects I could do? I'm looking for items I could sell at the Christmas Fair held in the Centre where I work. The funds we raise pays for our craft materials for the following year. Please be aware that I am just average at sewing and I can do basic machine sewing. Any simple ideas will be much appreciated. Only five months to go before the Fair and I've little or nothing done. I've plenty of odd and ends (and big pieces) of material so what can you suggest?

Many Thanks indeed.
Athy55
Athy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 25-06-2013 , 03:01 PM #2
patricias6

Default simple sewing

what about cushion covers ? maby in red ,cream or brown ,they are just 4 squares sewn together and zips are easy ( im only good at basic sewing ) to put into cushions not like trousers or skirts , or what about pillow covers? dont forget the flap inside ! i make my own and my family laugh at me because i put on fresh pillow covers EVERY day and they have to be ironed before i do ! think i need to go to the doc ............ ! good luck whatever u choose
patricias6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-06-2013 , 06:41 PM #3
Athy55

Hello Patricias6, Thanks for your ideas. I'm already in the process of making some cushion covers. That's about the only thing I can do!!

Patricias6, whatever about changing the pillow cases every day, that I can identify with, but IRONING them, No Friggin Way!!! You're family are right, you do need to see the doctor (lol).

Thanks a million for your reply (and for sharing!!!)
Athy55
Old Posted: 25-06-2013 , 09:25 PM #4
irishrose

How about Christmas stockings? Red, green, white fabric, or patterned fabric, for that matter, with a bit of trim at the top and a loop to hang the stocking with are attractive and easy. Teeny ones made just the same way make good ornaments for a tree or mantel. I'm certain there are patterns online, or at the least detailed descriptions, for construction.
If you have cotton material, sets of cloth napkins, either seasonal or for general use, are easy and can be attractive. All it takes is a square of fabric approximately 18"x18" hemmed on all sides. Table runners only require the same skills. They also can be seasonal or for general use. Cloth placemats can be made as well.
irishrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-06-2013 , 12:48 PM #5
Athy55

I've just cut out some serviettes to try. I'll see how they go. I will also try the placemats, I suppose I'd need quite a heavy material for those? Thanks for your ideas, I really appreciate them.
Regards
Athy55
Old Posted: 27-06-2013 , 02:55 PM #6
irishrose

You wouldn't necessarily need heavy material for placemats. You can sew two pieces of lighter weight fabric together by placing the rights sides together and sewing around them, leaving just enough room to turn it right side out. Then you can topstitch around all the edges on the right side of the fabric about a 1/4" from the edges. That'll catch the unsewn part where you turned the placemat as well.
Old Posted: 27-06-2013 , 07:35 PM #7
Athy55

Thanks Irishrose, I cut out the napkins today and I'm also going to try the placemats. I did one table runner (6ft), it took me ages! Next time I try one I'm just going to do light ones, my first one was a bit over the top and I was a little ambitious for a beginner. Thanks for your suggestions, if I ever get the hang of uploading photos I'll upload some of the finished work.
Warmest Regards
Athy55
Old Posted: 03-07-2013 , 08:11 PM #8
Athy55

Well my table runner (the ambitious one on my part) turned out quite well. My napkins turned out well too, even if I do say so myself. I am currently trying to put zips in cushion covers, I'm not great at this so I hope they won't look to bad. I'm going to make more napkins and start some place mats too. Maybe I'll even try a few more table runners, though not as complicated as the last one. I will try to upload some photos. I really appreciate the help and suggestions and I have one more question. Do either of you, Irishrose or Patricias6, know how I would make an owl sewing kit? I saw one on an internet site, it was a small owl, under its winks was a place for straight pins. There was a pooch on its front where a scissors is stored, the finger pieces of the scissors came up over the eyes as if the owl had glasses on, and there was also a place for storing thread. The owl was made from scraps of material. Any suggestions?
Thanks a million. Watch out for my photos!
Regards
Athy55
Old Posted: 03-07-2013 , 09:43 PM #9
irishrose

Good on ye for the table runner and serviettes! I'd have to see a photo of the owl to even have a guess at it. Try going to Google and typing in something like owl sewing kit instructions and see if anything comes up.
I'm a great fan of hook and loop (velcro) tape for closing things like cushions. I generally cut a strip in half lengthwise whatever length I need and sew it to the inside edge of the side I've left open. Works just fine and is cheaper and easier than inserting a zipper. I've made slipcovers for my living room suite and used velcro to close the cushions and they've withstood the test of time. I leave it full-width for those though.
Old Posted: 13-07-2013 , 11:10 PM #10
Bernadine

Default Christmas Fair

When you are inserting zips in cushions it is quite easy if you do the following:
If your zip if 14" wide and your cushion is 16" wide sew an inch each side. Then tack using the machine the whole way down. Press. Place your zipper on to the tacked seam tack it by hand in place and then machine. On the right side carefully snip the tacking thread covering the zip. Hey presto one perfect zip!

The other thing you can do is tissue pocket holders. They are very simple to do and if you google it you will get the pattern online. Hopefully I've helped. Good luck.
Bernadine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-07-2013 , 01:44 PM #11
Chris P
Administrator

Default Some photos from Athy55

Some photos from Athy55:
Attached Images

Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-07-2013 , 07:13 PM #12
Athy55

Thanks for uploading the pictures for me Chris.
Regards
Athy55
Old Posted: 14-07-2013 , 07:31 PM #13
irishrose

Well done!
Old Posted: 17-07-2013 , 10:32 PM #14
Leahsmam

try favecrafts.com for ideas. how about little heart shapes that you hang up like a xmas decoration with something like lavendar in it. i love smelly things and id say they would be easy to make. if someone didnt have a lot of money but still wanted to support you these would be good.
Leahsmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 31-07-2013 , 05:56 PM #15
mondubics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athy55
......... I am currently trying to put zips in cushion covers, I'm not great at this so I hope they won't look to bad......
Athy55
There is another way to make cushion covers, that doesn't require zips. Take this slowly, and pin one together first, to make sure you get the folds right.

1. cut a piece of fabric that is the width of your cushion cover + 2 seam allowances, AND two and a quarter (ish) times the length of the cushion cover + 2 seam allowances.
If you assume a 14" cover and seam allowances of 1", that's a piece of fabric 16" x 38" ( (14+1+1) x (14 +14 +4 +1 +1).
2. Hem the 2 short sides only, but DO fold the seam allowance twice, so the hem will be 0.5" when finished. If you like, you can make one much larger - just adjust the length. The other one won't be visible on the finished product.

3. This is the 'get it right in your head' bit.
With right sides together, fold the item so that 4" is folded over to the INSIDE. Measure. The cushion cover should be about 14" long.

4. Hem each side seam, making sure that the folded under 'flap' gets caught into the seam fully, and when you do the 2nd one, while you should measure it, its more important that the flap looks straight.

5. Trim the 4 corners diagonally (without cutting the stitching!!!) so that they will lie flat when turned.

6 Turn to the right side, and use something pointy but blunt to push out the fabric to ensure the corners turn fully.

7. If it looks a bit floppy (remembering that some of that will be taken up by the cushion), you could put a button-hole and button on the flap. (My sewing machine has a 4-step button-hole sewing option, which is much easier than it looks, and does a great job.)

8. Iron it to make it look smart on the stand.

9. Start the next one!!!

This saves money on zips, so if you already have fabric, you are laughing!!!

Stripes work better than repeat 'medallion' patterns, but make sure to line up the stripes on the flap and main fabric. All-over patterns also work well.
mondubics is offline   Reply With Quote