JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 03-01-2009 , 02:58 PM #1
jenniferalan

Default Advice - re upholstery

I have an ottoman for many yrs it is a lovely shape and has a nice covering at the min except it is so worn! I would love to be able to buy material and re design it myself but not sure how i would hold the material down and i do not want to ruin it as i think it belonged to my grandparents and that is why is was never changed before now.

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, i would be very grateful,

thanks

jen
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 03-01-2009 , 03:32 PM #2
jeana

You can get a staple gun real cheap in Argos but I covered my one with a throw and then used elastic bands for the extra material - so it stays on without having to damage the original with staples.
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-01-2009 , 03:35 PM #3
elbo

Default staple gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeana
You can get a staple gun real cheap in Argos but I covered my one with a throw and then used elastic bands for the extra material - so it stays on without having to damage the original with staples.

I did it many moons ago. You only staple the inside of the ottoman (the wooden part), so as not to damage the old material. You could cut your material a little bigger than you need. I remember when I did it, I put a layer of sponge on top and covered buttons with material and sewed them to sponge before stapling to make that special effect. Good luck.
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-01-2009 , 03:38 PM #4
jenniferalan

Thanks a million for ur suggestions and advice, i'm going to look for some nice material and a stapler and see how i get on

cheers
jen
Old Posted: 03-01-2009 , 03:59 PM #5
elbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferalan
Thanks a million for ur suggestions and advice, i'm going to look for some nice material and a stapler and see how i get on

cheers
jen

Not an ordinary stapler Jen - has to be a heavy duty stapling gun (probably in B & Q).
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-01-2009 , 03:58 PM #6
bluecurlygirl

I'm with elbo on this - don't buy a cheap staple gun. Invest in a good one in a hardware shop. It'll only cost a few quid more than argos but it's an investment. You'll be recovering everything when you start and the staple gun will be worth it's weight in gold by the time you're finished! Good luck with the project and don't forget to put up the before & after pics with instructions on how you end up doing it so we can all give it a bash!
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-01-2009 , 12:07 PM #7
jenniferalan

Thanks for advice, i was in b and q last night and forgot to get the stapler duh!! will post pics when i get around to doing it, cheers for all the support and advice
Old Posted: 06-02-2009 , 03:22 PM #8
kila2008

Default Upholstering Old Chairs -where do you start?

Hi, my friend bought 6 Edwardian dining room chairs that are in dire need of re-upholstery. Unfortunately, at the moment he doesn't want to spend a fortune getting someone to do up the chairs so instead he has decided that he would like to tackle the project himself.

The problem is he has never done any upholstering before and know absolutely nothing about the subject. Are there any good websites/books for beginners? The chair seats were originally done with coil springs, hair, etc....so he will want to replace with similar materials.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
kila2008 is offline   Reply With Quote