JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 22-08-2009 , 12:00 AM #1
minnie pal

Default vinyl tile flooring

I do have a small enough place and was thinking of vinyl tiling from B&Q. Is this hard to put down, can you cut it with a stanley knife, what way do you stick these down?
i will be doing it myself and never did something like this before, all info on this appreciated.
minnie pal
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 22-08-2009 , 10:44 AM #2
TickTock

Default Vinyl Tile Flooring

Someone else will probably give you better info than I can, but here's my tuppence hal'penny worth! We bought vinyl floor covering in the 70's when we got married and we thought the store would lay it but it turned out they didn't and we had to do it ourselves. (Quite a shock to a young married couple who'd never done any diy before!). It was quite a big kitchen/dining room. I don't think we did a very bad job but of course it wasn't perfect by any means. We used a special hook shaped lino knife specially for the job which we found in one of the diy stores at the time - looked quite lethal! We were told that after laying, vinyl tends to 'shrink' a little so we left it for a while and then put a little floor adhesive around the edges. We lived there for about 12 years and had no complaints about the vinyl. If I was getting vinyl again I'd get a professional to do it - it's quicker and would look a lot better than what we could do. But everyone is different and you might make a much better job of it than we did.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-08-2009 , 10:45 AM #3
TickTock

Default Vinyl Tile Flooring

Just realised you are putting down tiles - sorry, I misread it. My little story is now redundant!!
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-08-2009 , 09:00 PM #4
messy tessy

Default vinyl tiles

I used the vinyl tiles in my bathroom very easy to put down but are very sticky so make sure your surface is dust free as if you make a mistake and have to pull it back up it does be covered in dust hair etc and isn,t so very sticky stanley knife works perfect what i did was just lay them on the floor and num the back of them to which one goes were and it worked a treat good luck it is an easy enough job.
messy tessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-08-2009 , 05:08 PM #5
cascade35

Default My tips for laying vinyl tiles

Measure your tiles and mark your floor area with squares the same size as the tiles (a pencil will do to mark with)

lay a row of tiles on the floor in each direction before you take the back cover off (ie before you take off the backing and they become sticky)
this will give you an idea where tiles will need to be cut

(always cut the tiles nearest to a wall or a unit as you dont want to cut a tile thats on the middle of the floor area it will look terrible

its a good idea to start in the middle of the floor (dead centre) and work your way out to the edges (this bit can be tricky) But if you have marked the floor area with a pencil showing where each tile is going you dont need to start in the middle

If you lay the first tile wrong then all the tiles will be wrong so make sure your happy with the position and how straight the first one is

It is an easy job and if you take your time you can do it and enjoy it.

These are just my tips, im not a pro at tiling but ive done a few sucessful jobs at it
cascade35 is offline   Reply With Quote