JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 25-05-2009 , 02:39 PM #1
Greeneyes

Default Large quantities of thin mirror, any suggestions?

Hi all fellow Jumbletowners

I am currently working on making a mirror for my living room, it is on a large circular piece of MDF (43 inches in diameter) and in the centre is a circular mirror about 10 inches in diameter (I took a cosmetic mirror apart).

From the edge of the MDF to the centre cosmetic mirror, I intend to use broken pieces of mirror. I bought two large rectangular mirrors up north and smashed them (lots of superstition ignored) and intended to use them. However when I sat down and looked at the broken bits last night, I saw that they are way too thick and their combined weight means that the cornice piece and the heavy duty nail I have already put up will not hold their weight and the MDF combined.

In short, I am looking for thin pieces of mirrior and would buy them if I knew where to get them. (I am also open to receiving them if someone has some thin mirror on their hands they would like to dispose of).

At the moment, it is hard to judge in a shop how thick a long piece of mirror is when it is encased in a stand/frame etc. The cosmetic mirror I have in the centre of the MDF is really thin, almost as thin as a CD and ideally I would like a large quantity of mirror of this thinness but have no idea where to go...

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Green eyes
Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 25-05-2009 , 02:49 PM #2
bluecurlygirl

Hiya Greeneyes. If you're intending on smashing up the mirror then you don't actually intend "using" it as such. Therefore, there's stuff you get in auto shops for replacing wing mirrors. They're mirrored sheets that you cut with scissors and stick them in place with sticky pads. Why don't you get something like that, cut it into the right size pieces & you have no mercury leaking all over the place either....
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-05-2009 , 02:51 PM #3
Greeneyes

Default Nice one

Bluecurlygirl

Sounds great...thanks a million. Will check it out as soon as..

Green eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecurlygirl
Hiya Greeneyes. If you're intending on smashing up the mirror then you don't actually intend "using" it as such. Therefore, there's stuff you get in auto shops for replacing wing mirrors. They're mirrored sheets that you cut with scissors and stick them in place with sticky pads. Why don't you get something like that, cut it into the right size pieces & you have no mercury leaking all over the place either....
Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-05-2009 , 10:41 PM #4
kilk

just a suggestion for breaking mirror glass, if you use a small blow torch you can break it in waves rather than sharp cornered pieces, and with a bit of practice you can break it in a certain direction.
WARNING: wear glasses and gloves and put the glass in a container of some sort cos it shatter with the heat and the pieces will be contained in the container.

kilk
kilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-06-2009 , 08:26 PM #5
minnie pal

Default these are just great ideas!

Great ideas will borrow!!!!
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-06-2009 , 01:24 PM #6
bluecurlygirl

Sent off the "easy mirror" today greeneyes. Hopefully it'll be of some use to you (and less dangerous than breaking mirrors!!!). Can't wait to see a photo of the finished project.
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-11-2009 , 11:31 PM #7
minnie pal

Default easy mirror

I want to cover almost an entire side wall and the door next to it in mirror, honest! i have a very small place and hope it will reflect back what is in the garden.
is the thin 'easy mirror you find in auto shops good enough to actually act as a large mirror and can it 'cope' on this size, maybe stuck onto the wall.

I could never afford real mirror this size.
xminnie pal
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-11-2009 , 01:29 AM #8
denkarma

Default hi

You could always go try your local Glazier or hardware store they might help. Glaziers usually have lots of mirror bits laying around.
Den
denkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-07-2012 , 10:22 AM #9
chrissybeanz

Default Mirrors

Hi Greeneyes
I am working on something similar myself. I have found in a number of € shops, or £ shops, really cheap mirrors. Just take the frames off. They are very thin (hence the price). My one concern is ... will the adhesive you use affect the backing of the mirror? Best to buy one, smash it, and try different glues on different pieces. Hope this helps, Chrissy
chrissybeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-07-2012 , 07:33 PM #10
Marhen

Default Large quantities of thin mirror, any suggestions.

The idea sounds great. Would it be possible to take the centre mirror out and add a thin piece of ply or similiar to increase the height of the mirror on the board. This way you may not need such thin pieces of mirror. to make the weight safe, can you drill into the wall and use several strong hooks or such. Or get some advice on what to use to take the weight. Hope this works out for you. Marhen
Marhen is offline   Reply With Quote