JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 09-04-2011 , 09:36 AM #1
Empty House

Default people putting up scrap

very disapointed today,, i sent a request for a suite the guy replied and said it could be collected,,, he said it was in good condition and i took his word for it, got a friend to drive to dublin for it, he just collected for me and didnt ask any questions but said he was surprised i needed it, i've just now handed over 50 euro to the recycle center to take it as it was pure rubbish,,, so disapointed to have been made a fool of,,,,, i cant believe that someone would expect people to use rubbish like this,,, my only regret is i didnt get a foto of it before sending to the center,,, i hope no one else gets caught out like this, regards E,
Empty House is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 09-04-2011 , 05:21 PM #2
Chris P
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty House
very disapointed today,, i sent a request for a suite the guy replied and said it could be collected,,, he said it was in good condition and i took his word for it, got a friend to drive to dublin for it, he just collected for me and didnt ask any questions but said he was surprised i needed it, i've just now handed over 50 euro to the recycle center to take it as it was pure rubbish,,, so disapointed to have been made a fool of,,,,, i cant believe that someone would expect people to use rubbish like this,,, my only regret is i didnt get a foto of it before sending to the center,,, i hope no one else gets caught out like this, regards E,
Hi Empty House,

Sorry to hear that you were unhappy with the item in question -- we don't often get such complaints.

Describing an item can be a subjective business, and "good condition" may mean different things to different people. The fact that there was no photo and that you didn't see the item in situ yourself seems unfortunate. Sadly, there is nothing Admin can really do except to remind Givers that describing items accurately and in detail is vital to the Giving and Taking process, and that Takers have no obligation to take an item if it is different to what they imagined was being described in the ad:

>>Extract from the "Before you Add your Item Page:"
Your Item's Details:

Photos:
You will notice from our web site that adding a photo of your item greatly increases the chances of someone taking that item.

Please seriously consider adding a photo of your item.

Use your digital camera or camera phone. If you have neither, ask someone who has one of these to help you out.

If you can't upload a photo to the web site, offer to send a photo to the interested Taker's mobile phone.

Instructions on adding a photo with your post/ad can be found here.

Describing Your Item:
If you are not adding a photo, it is very important that you describe your item in detail. An Item that is inadequately described simply results in requests for more details from interested Takers; this will obviously delay the Giving and Taking Process. Details you should consider adding include: the item's condition, make, model, colour, size (length, breadth, & height), weight etc.

Also, if you are not going to add an photo, it's a good idea to invite Members to call and view your item with no obligation to Take.<<

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-04-2011 , 08:39 PM #3
tudlytops

I haven't come across that yet, but i would have simply said thanks but no thanks...

I have though come across people that put things here and then ask you for a "contribution" when you get there to collect the items.

My reply is still thanks, but no thanks...
tudlytops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-04-2011 , 08:49 PM #4
Chris P
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudlytops
...I have though come across people that put things here and then ask you for a "contribution" when you get there to collect the items...
Hi tudlytops,

Members who request a "contribution" should be reported to Admin.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 09-04-2011 , 08:55 PM #5
tudlytops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P
Hi tudlytops,

Members who request a "contribution" should be reported to Admin.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Didn't know that Chris..

I will next time it happens..

thanks
tudlytops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-05-2011 , 01:03 PM #6
dollyk

I was asked to bring gift vouchers for dunnes, lol cant even remember by who, but i declined.
although yesterday someone came to pick up girls toys and brought me a lovely box of hand made chocs...yummie
dollyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-05-2011 , 02:17 PM #7
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollyk
I was asked to bring gift vouchers for dunnes, lol cant even remember by who, but i declined.
although yesterday someone came to pick up girls toys and brought me a lovely box of hand made chocs...yummie
Thanks for the feedback, dollyk.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 20-08-2012 , 06:21 PM #8
cascais

i feel for you empty house.
this never happened to me re furniture, but unfortunately it did happen with clothes .
the add said bag of clothes (in my size) in good condition.
i drove over an hour for the item and when i got back, i was very disappointed, the clothes smelt like they had been in an attic for over 25 years, they were discoloured and stained , not to mention some didn't even have buttons or working zips. and finally ( the cherry on the top) the clothes werent the size the add said they were.
needless to say the clothes werent used , and dumped . and that trip cost me more than it was worth.
with clothing you just can t sit there and go through what is in the bag and say this ok, but this no...
chris has a point, when he says good cond means different things to different people but... i don t know i think people should have a basic standard... i for example don t offer things i wouldn t take myself... after being stung once, i am now unfortunately a bit more "demanding" requesting pics and so on, and i also drive i lot less than i used to for items that have no pictures.

just thought i'd share this bad experience, hoping not to repeat it anytime.

cascais
cascais is offline   Reply With Quote