JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 23-01-2010 , 03:22 PM #1
akuti

Default Plug in Electric Heater (Best type?)

Hi,

I'm about to move into a rented house without central heating. I need to buy some type of plug in heater (possibly portable so I can heat more than one room). Can anyone advise me on what type I should buy. I would like one that doesn't cost the earth to run but gives out a good amount of heat. Thanks.
akuti is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 23-01-2010 , 10:53 PM #2
Gormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuti
Hi,

I'm about to move into a rented house without central heating. I need to buy some type of plug in heater (possibly portable so I can heat more than one room). Can anyone advise me on what type I should buy. I would like one that doesn't cost the earth to run but gives out a good amount of heat. Thanks.

Electric heaters are always going to cost a bit. Best way to find out running costs is to find out how much your electricity supplier charges for 1 kilowatt per hour. For example say ESB rate was 16c for 1kw per hour, So if you get a 1kw heater and that will be the running cost per hour at max setting. So the more kilowatts on the heater the more it will cost to run.

I don't have much experience in heaters, however I found for me that convector heaters dried out the air too much and affected my breathing, same with bar heaters.
When I had to heat my house a few years back I used oil filled radiators (concertina style ones)with a thermostat and timer. 1 was on 24/7 the other 3 were on the timer so that the bedrooms were warm at night and in the morning. I think they were between 1kw and 1.5kw and it cost roughly the same as storage heating. None of them were on the full heat setting!

Also you will have to minimize draughts (doors & windows) or any heater you buy will be a waste. The type of heater you choose will depend on whether you want instant heat or something more constant. Hope this is of some help to you.
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-01-2010 , 09:16 AM #3
akuti

Thanks very much, that a great starting point for me. I'll go see what is available out there in oil heaters.
akuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-01-2010 , 03:42 AM #4
smokeyeyes

Dimplex do one called an eco heater. It is a convector type heater (about the size of an oil filled radiator) but apparantly much cheaper to use than other electric heaters. They give off fairly good instant heat. I think Power City do them.

Another alternative would be a pot belly type heater that uses a gas bottle. It's called the Provance and gives terrific heat. Its on wheels so is very portable. During the bad weather we ran out of oil and oil delivery truck couldn't reach use, so I purchased one of these in Woodies and left it in the hallway to let the heat circulate throughout the house and it was very effective. They were selling for €299 reduced from €450 it think. Bottle of gas costs €29.50 so you would know how much it was costing to run without running up high electricity bills. Because it is made of cast iron it continues to throw out the heat even after you switch it off.
smokeyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-11-2012 , 07:06 PM #5
ElectricHeatersIreland

Hi everyone,

You might want to check out our new website...

http://www.electricheatersireland.ie
ElectricHeatersIreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-02-2013 , 04:28 PM #6
lopats

Default plug in heater

Hi, we purchased a fire suite in B & Q for 100 and it has great heat and it is portable. A word of warning about the provence stoves, we have one and i loved it. however, the coals broke and were omitting a thin layer of black smoke / dust for a period of a couple of weeks. we didnt notice until too late and the whole kitchen had to be repainted. not the heaters fault - it was ours but it also needs to be serviced once a year. best of luck
lopats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-04-2013 , 03:32 PM #7
Colm G

These are pretty efficient!
http://purchase.ie/eco-panel-heater
Colm G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-06-2013 , 11:37 AM #8
amy78

When it comes to heat your house, there may be so many options. Electric heating is the best way to keep your house warm in shivering winters. Electric heaters are of different types according to their sizes and working. Today panel heaters are in trend. They are small enough to move anywhere in the house. They provide efficient heating within few minutes keeping lower energy bills.
Reference:- http://www.electricheaters.ie/
amy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-09-2023 , 06:19 AM #9
gahawe

Ceramic heater: Ceramic heaters are energy efficient and provide quick and directed heat. They come in a variety of sizes and can be portable. For better control, look for models with adjustable thermostats and multiple heat settings.
Oil-Filled Radiator Heater: Oil-filled radiators are known for their energy efficiency and ability to maintain a consistent temperature. They are slower to heat a room initially, but can maintain heat for a long time after heating. They are also quiet, making them a good choice for bedrooms. When looking for an apartment to rent on https://rentola.ie/ be sure to look carefully to see if and what kind of heating is available.
Electric Convection Heater: Convection heaters work by heating air and circulating it around the room. They are typically energy efficient and can be wall-mounted or portable.
Infrared Heater: Infrared heaters use infrared radiation to heat objects and people in their path, rather than heating the air. They are efficient and provide direct, instant heat. Portable infrared heaters are available that can be moved from room to room.
Fan Heaters: Fan heaters are generally affordable and provide quick heat. They are good for small spaces and are portable. However, they can be a bit noisy.
Micathermic Heater: Micathermic heaters combine the principles of convective and radiant heating. They are efficient and provide constant heat. These heaters are often flat and wall-mounted, saving floor space.
gahawe is offline   Reply With Quote