JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 07-06-2011 , 09:09 PM #16
Annabee

seriously impressed! how long did that take and what did you use to hold the tiles on with? I have a very long concrete block wall and I've been too intimidated to start, been collecting tiles and broken crockery for a while now!
Annabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-06-2011 , 10:28 PM #17
shonastar

I'm very grateful to everyone who took the time to comment, thank you so much. It really didn't take very long, but the work was spread out over ten days as I could only do it when the little one was having a nap and when it wasn't raining.
I'd guess it took about 10 hours from start to finish, at one stage I was using a piping bag to pipe on the adhesive (much to the amusement of my family) as I found the trowel too bulky when I only had small gaps left to do.
Apart from tiles you need adhesive and grout, any tile shop or diy store will have them, just ask for an adhesive which is also suitable for outdoors. Once the tiles are properly stuck on with adhesive, leave to dry for 24 hours. All that's left is to grout it. I'd also advise getting wide join grout, it's for when you have wider gaps between the tiles ie. larger than a few mm.
As for the design, I picked something fairly simple as I know I'll be looking at it for a long time to come, I did a flowerbed in my mum's over three years ago and it still looks perfect.
Now if the rain would only stop I could get cracking on the second wall lol!!
Kind regards,
Shonastar x
shonastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-06-2011 , 10:26 AM #18
magda_ola

wow! it's amazing:)
magda_ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-06-2011 , 11:18 AM #19
tinx

Default wall

OMG This is amazing what a good job!!!
tinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-06-2011 , 01:08 PM #20
sept09baby

I adore this and can't wait to start my own. Have a good few cream tiles so need to collect more coloured ones and decide on a design. Thanks for the inspiration!
sept09baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-06-2011 , 01:22 PM #21
Narizota

Wow,I love this,it looks amazing!!

You are very talented and I can't wait to see what you do next!
Narizota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-06-2011 , 08:21 PM #22
Pepperpixie

wow fairplay to ya shonastar, that is brilliant. ya should take on some commission work!!! Anyone be proud to have that in their garden.
Pepperpixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-06-2011 , 03:00 PM #23
Khublei

Wow! That is incredible. I have a house with 3 tiled fireplaces I don't want and a terrible white (meant to be white.....) wall view from the dining room table. I have been trying to think of someway to use the tiles to do up the wall - hope you don't mind if I try and do something similar!
Khublei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-06-2011 , 05:10 PM #24
shonastar

I'm absolutely thrilled to have inspired some of you to do your own wall, please, please post pics when they're done, I'd love to see them!
Old Posted: 25-07-2011 , 04:42 PM #25
Laineym

Default Fab job

This is fabulous - I'm going to try this myself on a couple of boring brick Walls - sometime ... Thanks for the inspiration ;-)
Laineym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-07-2011 , 09:13 PM #26
amybaby

Default wall

wow! that is just amazing. a super job. well done you!
amybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-08-2011 , 12:02 PM #27
irishrose

That looks terrific! Very impressive!
irishrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-09-2011 , 09:03 PM #28
SLCB

Default Mosaic

Hi, The walls look great. I'd love to do something similar but I'm not in the slightest bit arty. I'm thinking of taking a night course in Mosaics and am wondering if you did a course or just straight to it??
SLCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-09-2011 , 10:03 PM #29
shonastar

Thank you once again to everyone who commented, in reply to the last post, I didn't do any courses in mosaics, but I did have an advantage in having a few tilers in the family, (they are usually very helpful in taking the mickey and pointing out mistakes lol!).
On a serious note, I opened a tile shop last year, to anyone who is thinking of doing something like this, my advice would be to pass by your local tile shop, explain what you would like to do, and ask about adhesives and grout, they will advise you on the best materials to use and answer any questions you might have. You can buy ready mixed buckets of adhesive if you don't want to mix it yourself.They will also have broken or discontinued tiles in bins or skips that they will be happy to get rid of.
As for design, if you're going to tile over a wall, any traced out designs will be hidden by the tiles, so get practising, try out a few different designs with different colour markers. It can be as hard or easy as you like.
As always, if anyone needs broken tiles and can make it to Dungarvan, send me a PM and I'll do my best to help, Shonastar x
Old Posted: 08-09-2011 , 11:26 PM #30
eemzie

Wow wee, It's beautiful!
eemzie is offline   Reply With Quote