JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 04-10-2008 , 10:25 PM #1
Ignatia

Default Mould on my bedroom wall/ceiling -- Heeelllllp!

I have problem with mold on my bedroom wall/ceiling which I need to tackle asap as I can hardly breathe anymore! I have done some research- all of which highlight 2 things: how difficult it is to treat and how bloody easily it spreads- especially when you try to get rid of it! I really need to tackle this as my health is suffering and wondering if anybody out there has any tips at all? I really want to avoid using chemicals/bleach if at all possible. All suggestions welcome!!!!
Ignatia is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 04-10-2008 , 10:33 PM #2
Rufus Fornow

Default mould

Try a dehumidifier from Argos. Takes the water out of the air. Only run it during th day, not while u r sleeping in there - it'll take the water out of u 2!
Rufus Fornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-10-2008 , 10:40 PM #3
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Any use?
http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/mah...o/momo_005.cfm
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-10-2008 , 11:16 PM #4
Ignatia

Hi Rufus, Hi Chris,

thanks for that tip- has been duly added to the to do list! Any other suggestions on how to tackle the actual removal of it?
Old Posted: 04-10-2008 , 11:58 PM #5
ireneo

Hi
This sounds great for now but its only prolonging what you will have to eventually do. You obviously need to find the leak and sort that first, then if your wall is a plasterboard wall you will have to cut that section off along with the section of ceiling and replace them. It sounds severe but its the only solution.
Good luck
ireneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-10-2008 , 12:20 AM #6
Ignatia

Hi Ireneo,

that does sound severe but I realise that I may have to eventually do that- thanks.. I have a roofer booked next week to have an overall look, but also gathered that it may not neccessarily be the roof. it is an old house and there are several possible factors to consider. However I do need to put a (even short term) solution in place for health reasons apart from anything else. Weather permitting I am hoping to tackle it tomorrow, most sources seem to suggest vinegar/bleach to clean it off for now anyways, just wondering if there are any more hints!

Cheers, and thanks for speedy response!
Old Posted: 05-10-2008 , 12:40 AM #7
ireneo

Hi
When you get the walls and ceiling washed and when theyre dry, There should be a sealer you can put on them before you repaint to stop the mould coming back for a while.
Hope it works out for you
ireneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-10-2008 , 12:51 AM #8
Ignatia

Hi Ireneo,

thanks for that, will try it out. Thanks to yourself, Rufus and Chris- just want to say too that I love this site and the community spirit that prevails!
Old Posted: 05-10-2008 , 01:24 AM #9
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatia
Hi Ireneo,

thanks for that, will try it out. Thanks to yourself, Rufus and Chris- just want to say too that I love this site and the community spirit that prevails!
Good to have you on board, Ignatia!

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-10-2008 , 06:38 AM #10
Florin

Default mould

hi, I`m handyman and I use vinegar to clean the mould , it`s natural but of course don`t smell very nice.
Florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-10-2008 , 08:37 AM #11
mammasboys

Default mould

I also have a very old cottage where the walls have not been dry lined. In the winter I find condensation in the corners, around the windows etc.
Firstly what I would do is wash off as much as mould as you can. Then I would make up a mixture in an empty spray bottle of tea tree oil, a whole bottle, top up with a little vodka, about two shots and about the same of water. Spray on the mould and leave it for a few hours with the windows open. You could give it a wipe to dry off. It will kill the spores.
On a day to day basis during the cold season, I normally dry off the condensation with yesterday's t-shirt or vest, which goes in the wash. Then open the windows wide for an hour. Close the door to stop the rest of the house freezing.
The tea tree spray will kill all the air born spores that give those headaches and will kill any other viruses and bugs without poisoning you or your family. It's also great for spraying onto the beds when you change the sheets. Spray lightly, leave to dry for an hour or two. Vacuum and tra la, no bedmites!
Best of luck with the treatment.
mammasboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-10-2008 , 01:27 PM #12
Ignatia

Wow- that's fantastic, thanks a million for those tips, will let you know how I get on!
Old Posted: 12-10-2008 , 07:05 PM #13
macken1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatia
I have problem with mold on my bedroom wall/ceiling which I need to tackle asap as I can hardly breathe anymore! I have done some research- all of which highlight 2 things: how difficult it is to treat and how bloody easily it spreads- especially when you try to get rid of it! I really need to tackle this as my health is suffering and wondering if anybody out there has any tips at all? I really want to avoid using chemicals/bleach if at all possible. All suggestions welcome!!!!

Sugar soap is best for killing the spores and cleaning the walls and ceiling it is available in all good hardware stores.... I had this problem with the the black mould growth it is caused by excessive condensation and poor ventilation.. I spent some time trying to find something to solve it and eventually installed a whole house ventilation system. before this I would have very bad condensation on my windows in the mornings now that I have installed the system I have eliminated any condensation in the house and have a constant supply of fresh air into the house without having to leave any windows open.
macken1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-10-2008 , 07:36 PM #14
noni

Default mould on ceiling

Hi Macken1969,
Is it a difficult thing to put a ventilation system in existing house?, might be
interested in doing this if it isnt, like you hate condensation on windows in the winter.
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-10-2008 , 07:51 PM #15
Naillij

Hey people, I have this black mould on the inside of my roman blinds, (on the white-black out blind part). Anyone know how to get it off? I have before sprayed it with a very diluted solution of bleach, maybe it killed it i dont know but it hasnt cleaned it, dumped 2 room blinds and bought new ones already, want to try and save this one! Have only 4 year old house but get condensation in the bed room windows in winter
Naillij is offline   Reply With Quote