JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 27-06-2008 , 09:26 AM #1
Ciss

Default Ways to recycle an old stained king-size duvet?

Hello all, love the JT!

I have a query on which someone might be able to advise me on. I have an old stained king-size duvet on which I do not want throw out to the dump. I'm not sure if the recycle centres can take this or not so hence this post.

Does anyone know somebody who might be interested to take this off me? It can be used in kennels maybe? (an old neighbour used to take old pillows off me for her dogs.)

Or, are there ways of recycling/re-using the duvet?
Ciss is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 27-06-2008 , 01:43 PM #2
TeresaH

Default Dogs

Hi,

I have 4 dogs of my own and foster rescue dogs. I have a foster dog at the moment that is about to have 3 pups, my guess is in the next 2 or 3 days. Blankets, duvets, pillows etc do come in very handy. I'm sure your local rescue would love it.

Good luck,

Teresa
087 268 2466
TeresaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-06-2008 , 02:14 PM #3
Chris P
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciss
Hello all, love the JT!

I have a query on which someone might be able to advise me on. I have an old stained king-size duvet on which I do not want throw out to the dump. I'm not sure if the recycle centres can take this or not so hence this post.

Does anyone know somebody who might be interested to take this off me? It can be used in kennels maybe? (an old neighbour used to take old pillows off me for her dogs.)

Or, are there ways of recycling/re-using the duvet?
Hi Ciss,

I reckon your best bet is your local cats & dogs home.

According to Kildare County Council's website, their main recycling centre at Athy accepts blankets and curtains but not duvets or carpets.

Please see here:

http://kildare.ie/countycouncil/Envi...yCivicAmenity/

As far as I can gather, no recycling centre in Kildare accepts duvets. Double-check the list here:

http://kildare.ie/countycouncil/Envi...ecyclingSites/

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-06-2008 , 11:29 PM #4
angie1

Default quilt cover idea....

hi ciss , if you want a couple of nice 'new' cushions fill too empty cushions covers with the material sherd it into strips first with a scissors and scrunch it up as your putting it in ...hey presto 2 'new' cushions cost 0 . just a thought .hope it gives you idea...Unapam will have an excellent idea when she spots this so hold on to it for a while kind regards angie1
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-06-2008 , 07:23 AM #5
poppie

HI,

Also have 2 king size duvets that needs to be used up. I am currently using them over a mattress that are very bad (we are in rented property and I am not really willing to buy a new one). If and when I buy a mattress topper I will be using my duvets to fill beanbag covers for my kids. I don't know if this will work but is going to give it a try. I am going to buy the covers wich you can get from Argos and then just stuff the shredded duvet inside.

Cheers
Poppie
poppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-07-2008 , 09:50 AM #6
unapam

Default old duvet

Hi, I have tried to come up with a rinky dink idea for this but I have to admit that I am stumped...so, I am going to recommend the same as the others. Lagging copper boiler and pipes in the attic or animal rescue centre.

If any more artistic flashes come to me for this I'll be sure to post them!
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-07-2008 , 11:06 AM #7
Ciss

Thx all for your great replies! I've thought of covering the boiler but unfortunately the boiler we have is not a traditional one and there are lots of pipes around it.

Will definitely check with the animal centres.

Keep up the great work for JT! (Sorry to have missed the fete in Celbridge - was away for a while)
Ciss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-07-2008 , 09:23 PM #8
TeresaH

Default Thanks to a JT member.

Thought you might all like to see how we put some duvets and blankets we received from a very nice JT member to use.
Attached Images

TeresaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-07-2008 , 10:55 PM #9
colmsmum

Default Puppies

Aw they're so cute, congrats!
colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-09-2008 , 09:16 PM #10
beldarin

A duvet cut down to half or quarter size makes a great blanket for snuggling up on the sofa, not as unwieldy as a full size one but just as warm, especially if the heating isn't on full every night, brrrrrr,
You'd have to sew a seam along the cut side, same with a duvet cover, but the best part is, now that it's smaller, it'll fit in the washing machine.
:-)
beldarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-09-2008 , 08:31 AM #11
Stuarty

If you trim it down and securely sew the seams you can transform it into a child size duvet which as Beldarin says will fit in the washing machine, this is perfect for toddler beds. Especially because when kids are small, there are lots of spills and accidents...

I will be using an old duvet to pad a headboard, I will sew it along to prevent the filling dropping and attach it to a piece of MDF. Then cover it in a fabric to coordinate with my curtains, which is removable and machine washable too...
Stuarty is offline   Reply With Quote