Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 18-11-2008 , 10:49 AM #1
julfren

Default Digester<Green Cone>/Wormery ?

Hi
I am seriously thinking of investing in a composter (of which I know very little) or a wormery (I shudder). If I could reduce the amount of food waste sitting for long periods in the bins it might aid in reducing my bluebottle population. As we don't have a bin collection in the area, we tend to wait maybe too long before bringing food waste to landfill.

I would appreciate it if anyone who is using a composter or wormery could give me your personal experience. Or if you know anyone who has one they don't use that I could experiment with for a while and then decide whether to invest or not. I'm sure the question of food waste(particularly meat and meat proucts waste) must be a problem for a lot of people. Because many are now recycling so much the food bins aren't being emptied as often as they used to be.

My local council say that there isn't enough research done into composters yet as to their efficiency. I know they can be expensive. They are sold here in Ireland as Green Cones I think.

Any experience/advice/ anyone?

Jul
julfren is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 18-11-2008 , 01:58 PM #2
toddler

Default Compost

Hi,
Well worth doing, Roscommon Council are selling compost bins at cost, maybe your council are as well, they also have a leaflet telling you what to put in, what to leave out and roughly how long it will take before you can use it. All very helpful.
Not had anything to do with wormeries since I was at school but if memory serves they wouldn't convert food as quickly as you might like them to.
Hope this helps.
Toddler
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-11-2008 , 02:31 PM #3
el_loco_blanco

Default Composters

All the county councils are selling them. My local recycling centre has them. It is definitely worth the investment as long as you have the space for it. A composter won't take cooked food or meat etc. Nothing annoys me more than those brown bins for organic waste. I went for a walk lastnight and the smell outside some of the houses was unhealthy.
el_loco_blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-11-2008 , 09:37 AM #4
John Kieran

Default Composting and Wormery

I have both a compost bin and a wormery. You can buy a small unit for wormery over the internet, [no onions or citrus fruits can go in though] my one in shed and it's brilliant.....the problem with composting is that if fruit flies get into it then your swopping bluebottle problem for fruitfly problem....but this is easily overcome.

Go for both.....you get okay compost for garden, but with wormery you get the best compost, its like black gold!!!!
John Kieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-11-2008 , 11:16 AM #5
julfren

Default wormery/digester

Hi again

Thanks for replies.

I should have said DIGESTER rather than composter.You see can details of digesters at greencone.ie I would like to get feedback if possible from someone who is using a digester before investing in one. I already have 3 compost bins and couldn't be without them. I am actually going to get another bin for acidic waste - such as citrus - orange, lemon, grapefruit waste - a very slow process but I'm patient and can wait! We have a good no of coniferous trees near the house and needles etc that fall from those would also go in that special bin.The resultant compost would be useful for plants etc that require lime-free soil - ericacious compost as they call it in the garden centres. I am certainly considering the wormery and I do realise that it has to be monitored carefully. If only I could conquer my unease about those good hard-working creatures! I'll have to psyche myself up! Maybe in the New Year ...

Jul
Old Posted: 19-11-2008 , 04:37 PM #6
TheBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler
Hi,
Well worth doing, Roscommon Council are selling compost bins at cost, maybe your council are as well, they also have a leaflet telling you what to put in, what to leave out and roughly how long it will take before you can use it. All very helpful.
Not had anything to do with wormeries since I was at school but if memory serves they wouldn't convert food as quickly as you might like them to.
Hope this helps.
Toddler
I thought that wormeries gave compost far quicker than compost bins/heaps, in as little as a month (compared with a year for the latter).

Our compost bin is indispensible by this stage, and we're planning on getting a wormery in to help it out.
TheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-11-2008 , 05:28 PM #7
julfren

Default wormery/digester

Hi TheBear

The wormery will take raw meats and other foodstuffs whereas the compost bin will take organic waste only(veg peelings, eggshells,shredded or torn up newspaper, grass, hair,teabags, etc but no foods). The net result from both is compost that can be used in the garden. They are both slow enough but we have to get started some time.

Jul
Old Posted: 20-11-2008 , 01:18 PM #8
sparkwell

Default Greencone

I have been doing a bit of research into Greencones myself. They are very expensive in Ireland about €200.00 I think but you can get them in UK for £69.95 http://www.naturalcollection.com/natcolnew/searchresults.aspx?search=food+digester[/url]. I just have to find a relative coming home for Christmas! A friend of mine has recommended them for getting rid of cooked food waste including meat and chicken carcasses!!
sparkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-11-2008 , 05:52 PM #9
julfren

Default Greencone

Hi Sparkwell

Seems to me that our Co Councils should be subsidising the cost of wormeries and digesters to keep stuff out of landfills. If they are genuinely interested in care of the environmentthey should be doing more.They have made a start with the compost bins and water butts but they need to go further. I was at a landfill today with a load and much of what Iwas dumping could be composted by worms or by a Greencone. The smell of chemicals was overwhelming there. I don't know which is worse - the smell of dumped material or the chemical used to treat it!

Jul
Old Posted: 21-11-2008 , 01:11 PM #10
sparkwell

Default composting /food digesters

Hi Julfren
I agree with you that wormeries and digesters should be subsidised, but I don't think that will be happening with the recession and money being tight! We are regular visitors to the landfill at Portlaoise and the recycling facilities are very good and free for recyclables. We also dump our own household rubbish that can't be composted so that is why I am thinking of getting a digester as it would get rid of most of the food waste that the dog won't eat that causes the smells. It would be a way of cutting down on trips.

Sparkwell
sparkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-11-2008 , 07:55 PM #11
Griffen

If you are thinking of starting a wormery I would advise you not to buy a "ready made wormery" as they tend to be expensive & in many cases do not work very well if at all. They are also too small as a rule.

Here is how to do it:
1.Get a plastic dustbin or a plastic water tank. Drill drainage holes in the bottom & air holes around the rim. (if using a dustbin remember to drill the holes below where the rim of the lid fits)
Remember worms can drown & they need to beathe.

2.Sit your perforated worm tank on some bricks so that any liquid can drain away.

3.Start filling the tank by putting a 6 ins drainage layer of stones etc in the bottom.

3.Next a four inch layer of ripped up newspaper or cardboard.

4.Buy a bag of garden peat & moisten it well.

5.Get hold of a bag of old horse manure or old cow manure .(You do not want fresh stuff especially if the cows or horses have recently been wormed as traces of the wormer will kill your own worms.)

6.Mix the peat & manure in a 50/50 mix & add to the bin.

7.Get hold of approx 1kg of red worms. (these are the worms you find in old horse or cow manure).or you can buy them over the internet!

8.Tip worms onto the surface of your wormery & put a lid on the tank to stop them escaping.

9.Worms eat bacteria not the actual apple core ,vegetable peeling etc.
So ideally you also need a bucket with a lid so you can put all the stuff for the wormery in it & let it go all slimy & mouldy before just putting it into the wormery. Sounds gross but we just had a bucket by the back door & emptied onto the wormery when it was full.

10.Worms slow down when it is cold so good idea in the winter is to keep the tank in a shed or garage where it will be a little warmer.

11.Maintenance: Worms need a moist but not a wet environment. They also like one that is slightly alkaline so its a good idea to get some chalk & sprinkle a handful on every so often . (Tip.Buy a packet of chalks from a stationers & grind or smash them up to a dust.

12.Worms can escape so if you are using a tank just cover the top with a piece of plywood or a polystrene insulation slab weighted down.

We use the wormery for composting everything including dog poo!
Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-11-2008 , 05:24 PM #12
julfren

Default wormery/digester

Hi Griffen and Sparkwell

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions and instructions. The home-made wormery seems to be the way to go. I hope to tackle the food waste problem in this household in the New Year. Re the digester is there anybody out there who actually has experience of using a Green Cone, for example, over a period of time? I have been hearing varying reports on their effectiveness.

The Co Councils would actually be saving money if they could give some practical incentive to people to reduce the amount of food waste that is being taken to landfill. They would save on labour and machinery and chemical costs. Like all green ideas, there needs to be vision and patience and long-term goals at both local and national government level. Half-hearted token attempts will not do.
Jul
Old Posted: 09-01-2009 , 07:55 PM #13
KD7

Default Green Cone price drop in Ireland - down to €95

Hi,
I spotted this old thread while looking online for a Green Cone today and thought I'd update on the price in Ireland. The price was €145 but after I contacted them and asked about the Sterling rate, ecoshop.ie dropped the listed price to €95. So now's a good time to buy I think, it's seems like a good product if used correctly. The site greencone.ie is very expensive still however...(not affiliated with ecoshop.ie by the way!)
http://www.ecoshop.ie/
KD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-01-2009 , 11:05 PM #14
VOL

Default Green cone

Hi,
I use a green cone along with a composter and it's saved me a fortune in refuse charges. You don't get anything out of the green cone, it seeps into the soil. I have it in a flowerbed and I could hardly get into it this summer with all the flowers so it's obviously doing some good! It's a little more trouble than a composter to set up as you have to dig a big hole but it's well worth the trouble.
VOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-01-2009 , 05:42 PM #15
julfren

Default green cone

Hi KD7
thanks for your info. It is certainly the time to buy the cone. At €95 it is a good bargain. I already have a composter which won't of course take meat and food. Has anybody any experience of a digester?
Regards
Jul

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD7
Hi,
I spotted this old thread while looking online for a Green Cone today and thought I'd update on the price in Ireland. The price was €145 but after I contacted them and asked about the Sterling rate, ecoshop.ie dropped the listed price to €95. So now's a good time to buy I think, it's seems like a good product if used correctly. The site greencone.ie is very expensive still however...(not affiliated with ecoshop.ie by the way!)
http://www.ecoshop.ie/