JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 19-01-2012 , 11:26 PM #1
palminnie2

Default tight budget...taken for a ride

to adapt and upgrade a sad and small circa 1980's bungalow for a person with a disability has produced a budget plan way beyond reality in Ireland of today on a disab pension.
how on earth can one do this on a really low budget, and how not to be taken for a ride by every tradesman and other contruction worker, this is advice badly needed for ALL people with a disability.
i would never be able to afford what has been quoted me! seven hours later still reeling in shock.
off with their heads!
p
palminnie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 20-01-2012 , 12:18 PM #2
microdiscs

Default adapting a house

you can get grants of your local authority and if you contact the St Vincent de Paul i sure they could tell you where you could get help to do the work. they might even be able to recommend a tradesman to you. No harm in asking....
microdiscs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-01-2012 , 12:22 PM #3
microdiscs

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en...abilit y.html

Click on this it a link for citizens information it about grants etc. Hope it helps
microdiscs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-01-2012 , 01:07 PM #4
Sable67

With regard to grants, get your application in asap, as there is usually only a certain amount of funding available. Once it's gone, they stop taking applications and you would have to wait for next year's funding to make application.
Sable67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-01-2012 , 06:24 PM #5
Gormal

I never trust tradesmen! Ask around locally for if there is someone who can do the job[s], what their reputation/work is like, are they reliable and affordable. (you can haggle with the guy when you see him). Ask a few different people so you know who to choose or not to choose.
Sometimes self employed people are better than companies, certainly cheaper in most cases. keep an eye on them when they carry out the work and don't pay them until you are satisfied the job has been done properly.
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-01-2012 , 11:48 PM #6
palminnie2

Default grants et al

this is is ASAP! i am not allowed have the ot or an architect in until the house becomes mine entirely, not even a window of a hour and this has angered and upset me despite me saying the urgency of these grants forms.
synergy homes do extension pods not bad at all.
there is also an english site called 'whatprice' where people name the companies they used to work on extending or adding small extentions. this was wonderful. wonder if there is a similar one for ireland.
if people will STATE what they have been spending and through who will mean that compeditiveness will be there and also quality and testimonial driven.
anyone seen such for plumbers, electricians etc.
i guess in irish society not a possibility.
Old Posted: 21-01-2012 , 10:32 PM #7
palminnie2

Default finding a balance in quotes

i have been googling on this and several sites out there now about financial matters and all these sort of things, tradesmen.ie i think its called give quotes on asked questions and many people have also given their experiences, on doing rewiring for instance to name but one.
i feel all my quotes are way over by the looks of things, way way over.
another guy sister met said that the workers see a woman and disabled and do take em for a ride! i think i would if the tradesman was a local, shop local to be sure that others too find these people reliable and only go by word of mouth on reliability. bit less frightened at the task at hand, i guess once you understand the process it does seem bearable!
Old Posted: 26-01-2012 , 08:49 PM #8
palminnie2

Default more research more discoveries

the expense on these quotes given is far too great.
the people who set them told me not to trust these tradespeople sites but FGS why would an electrician say to me that no rewiring would be needed on a 30yr old property?
the market has slumped, if he was untrustwhorthy the first thing he would say, oh yes that will be 3,000k and i will do it!
not one but a few told me that i wouldnt need this rewiring.
as for inbuild wardrobes, Ikea do very smart ones for a fraction of the costings.
and more and more timber framed extensions cost also a fraction of the quote given.
you just have to research thats all.
Old Posted: 18-07-2012 , 03:25 PM #9
alitrace

Default Renovation

How is your renovation coming along? I am in the process of finding a home to restore myself.
alitrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-07-2012 , 11:02 PM #10
palminnie1

Default how is it all going?

am still in the process of seeking an adaption grant, the final quotes were awful.
so not hopeful that the whole project will be exactly what is required.
thanks for asking
palminnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 04-08-2012 , 04:31 PM #11
poguesfan
Banned

Default tight budget taken for a ride

from your post i see that u seem to have a real problem with electricans, if they say u need the work done you say theyre taking you for a" ride " if they say u dont need it u dont believe them its a no win situation. from july 1 all electricans have to do an upgrade course before they can provide a cert and this costs 150 euro all new ESB meters now are digital so his work would have to b up to standard , ps, i have two electricans in the family and work is very scarce and they are self employed so no dole for them , sorry but i imagine that because u are on disability u think you should get cheap labour ,thats just my take on your post , best of luck with your renovations .
poguesfan is offline   Reply With Quote