Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 31-07-2013 , 06:07 PM #16
mondubics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahsmam
try favecrafts.com for ideas. how about little heart shapes that you hang up like a xmas decoration with something like lavendar in it. i love smelly things and id say they would be easy to make. if someone didnt have a lot of money but still wanted to support you these would be good.
I was planning to do lavender scented bags recently, but I couldn't find a local source for the lavender. I didn't want to import it, and anyway, I draw the line at making things for charity events if the charity's income is less than I pay for the 'makings' ;-)). In that case, I'd rather give them the money.
If anyone knows where I could get, say, a kilo, or even half a kilo of dried lavender heads.....?
I thought of using lavender oil, but that would fade too quickly, and I'd have to find something soft to fill the bag with anyway.
mondubics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-08-2013 , 08:10 PM #17
Athy55

Thanks Mondubics, I'll have a try at that. Athy55
Athy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-08-2013 , 07:56 PM #18
joanmul

My daughter, who lives in Berlin, got little bibs for her twin baby girls. They would be very easy to make. They were a triangle of fabric, pretty prints, backed with a thin towelling fabric. There was a loop and button sewed on for fastening at the neck, but, I suppose if you wanted you could just sew two ties. If you turn in and iron a hem all round the triangle, do the same with the towelling, and then sew them together, hems on the inside, that mightn't take too much time. If you had the ties done in advance you could insert them when you're sewing the layers together. You could also use ric-rac for edging.
joanmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-08-2013 , 10:15 AM #19
mondubics

Default sewing tutorials online

http://www.allfreesewing.com/Basics-and-Tutorials
This is an american site, so the measurements and references might need 'translation', but I found it useful for a few things.
They do a weekly (?) email if you sign up, with project suggestions.

http://prudentbaby.com/2011/09/by-craft/
I'm not sure if this is the site that used to send me weekly suggestions for projects. A lot of them don't involve actual sewing, but some do.

http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2009/05...lt-covers.html
I made a variation of this for my own seatbelt, to keep it from rubbing on my neck, since I worried about the children's one covering the clips and didn't want to take a chance.

This is also from the same site, and might be useful
http://www.allfreesewing.com/section/subctr

From the tutorials on 'prudentbaby', I learned to sew jersey material, use a twin needle, and other stuff.
mondubics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-08-2013 , 09:06 PM #20
Athy55

Thanks so much. I got some great ideas from Favecraft, not just for sewing. We hope to have a lovely selection for our Craft Fair. I appreciate so much the ideas and suggestions everyone has sent. We will definitely try the baby bibs - they would be good sellers I'm thinking. We will have a try at any suggestions we get. Thanks again.
Athy55
Athy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-09-2013 , 06:20 PM #21
Marhen

Default Simple Sewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athy55
Could anyone give me some ideas for simple sewing projects I could do? I'm looking for items I could sell at the Christmas Fair held in the Centre where I work. The funds we raise pays for our craft materials for the following year. Please be aware that I am just average at sewing and I can do basic machine sewing. Any simple ideas will be much appreciated. Only five months to go before the Fair and I've little or nothing done. I've plenty of odd and ends (and big pieces) of material so what can you suggest?

Many Thanks indeed.
Athy55

Simple things to sew are pillow cases, specially if they are in pairs, regardless of what colour they are. Also, you say you have big pieces of material. why not make some nice runners to throw over end of bed or run along tables. You could buy some fringe or similiar items to sew along the ends. all straight sewing. If you could make a runner and pillow cases to match all the better. Marhen.. Good luck with it.
Marhen is offline   Reply With Quote