JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 01-03-2010 , 10:26 PM #1
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default Re-vamped JTown chairs

I got these chairs from Freebie18 a couple of weeks ago. All they needed was a little TLC and new upholstery. While peeling off the layers I realised that this is the fourth time they have been covered. I wonder how many houses they have lived in and what stories they could tell. I didn't cover them all the same cos they are for a meeting room, so didn't want them looking like a set. So thanks again Freebie18. Eibh.
Attached Images

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 01-03-2010 , 10:34 PM #2
maggied

Default chairs

nice job eibhe, love the patchwork very cute! whats the saying.. one jtr's junk is another jtr's treasure ...
maggie
maggied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-03-2010 , 12:19 AM #3
Bunty

Beautiful job. Well Done. I have also seen some other items you have restored, it just goes to show one does not have to spend a lot of cash to get a lovely item.
Keep up the good work. Regs. Bunty
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-03-2010 , 12:20 AM #4
Bunty

Forgot to mention the piping, it looks great!
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-03-2010 , 12:28 AM #5
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default chairs

Thanks Bunty, glad you enjoy my work. It is amazing what can be done with a little patience and imagination. I love the sense of history in old pieces. hope when I am old and creaky and loose in the joints with my stuffing falling out someone will see the beauty inside the wreck and not discard me! LOL Eibh.
Old Posted: 02-03-2010 , 06:49 PM #6
unapam

Default chairs

Lovely chairs. The patchwork is great. The pink-ish ones especially striking. Well done with those. Best wishes...Pam
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-03-2010 , 08:33 PM #7
freebie18

Hi Eibhlin,
They look great and I am very happy that they have been given some TLC,m and have gone to a good new home!
Thanks,
Freebie18
freebie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-03-2010 , 12:21 PM #8
jenniferalan

Hi Eibh, well done, great job! If you have the time would you mind explaining how you did it. I have a footstool that needs to be re covered but not sure how to do it
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-03-2010 , 02:53 PM #9
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default recovering furniture

Hi Jennifer, To recover a chair footstool etc is not too difficult but a few things will help.
You need Scissors, screwdriver, staple gun(invaluable and not that expensive but amazing how many things you'll use it for once you have one) Hammer, pliers, maybe upholstery tacks which come in a selection of finishes eg. bronze, brass etc.
The trick is to remove the existing covering as carefully as you can. 2 reasons for this 1. it gives you a pattern to cut out a new piece of material and 2. it will show you how it was covered originallyeg how they negotiated corners etc. Most covering is stapled on underneath so you need to remove staples--flat head screwdriver to lift them and pliers to pull them out. The padding will usually be sponge and you can renew it if necessary by cutting a new piece (old pillows, duvets etc) or add an extra bit to the original. When you have your fabric cut out put the wood and padding face down on the wrong side of the fabric. Put one staple in each side N,S,E,W, and check if you are happy with the position of the pattern, if happy, then continue to staple all round pulling fabric taut as you go. And there you go--your footstool is re-covered. If the style suits you can put upholstery tacks in around the edges. happy crafting, Eibhlin.
Old Posted: 17-04-2010 , 01:57 PM #10
markjamesdaly

I love this! Recycling at it's best!
markjamesdaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-04-2010 , 08:01 AM #11
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default chairs

Thanks. No need to sue here. I am totally responsible from when I take the chairs from the giver. Eibh.