|Posted: 10-01-2007 , 09:32 PM #1|
Join Date: Jan 2006
JumbleTown: USER TIPS
Here are some tips and reminders to help you use JumbleTown:
1. Fundamentals: JumbleTown is solely for the Giving and Taking of free items and Green Tips. The following transactions are prohibited: selling, buying, auctioning, swapping, borrowing and lending.
JumbleTown is NOT a charity site.
Givers may not suggest or request that potential Takers make a donation to any cause or charity, no matter how deserving. In other words, all items have to be passed on for "free" and not "free if..."
Givers are free to pass on an item to the first, second or even tenth respondent. Most Givers pass on an item to the first respondent, but this may not always be the case. The Giver alone decides.
Prohibited Items on JumbleTown: There are certain items that may not be given away on JumbleTown.
Please see here:
Our General User Guide is here:
There is no General Chat forum on JumbleTown.
2. Home Page: Clicking on the JumbleTown logo at the top left of your screen always brings you back to the site's Home Page.
3. Privacy/Security on JumbleTown: There is no need to put ANY personal contact details on the Public Forum/the listings. Real names, phone numbers, email addresses, home addresses, and details concerning viewing/collection times should all be sent by PM (Private Message) rather than posted on the Public Forum. For instructions on how to send a PM, please see #4 below.
4. Private Messages / PMs: Instructions on how to send a PM (Private Message) can be found here: http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/userguide/claimitem.htm
Misuse of the PM system will result in a ban. Details here:
5. Marking item as Taken/Reserved + Opening/Closing an Ad: Instructions on how to indicate whether your item is Taken or Reserved, and how to Open/Close an item can be found here:
6. Updating Ads -- Please see here for details:
7. Thread: What is a 'thread' on JumbleTown?
A thread is any Ad/Post that has multiple replies to it.
8. Search for an Item: Members can search for new ads and ads with new posts by using the "Serach New Items" function to the left of the log-in area.
Our Advanced Search page is here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/search.php? ...useful for searching through the Wanted section.
Here's how to Search the Wanted Pages:
Simply click "Search this Forum" on the top right of the Wanted page. Type in a key word such as "sofa" or "computer" and press "Go". The Advanced Search tool is located there too. Why not try it now? View the Wanted Forum here: http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32
9. Photos: Our guidelines and instructions for editing and uploading photos can be found here:
10. "Bump" is the standard term to indicate that you simply wish to move your post/ad to the top of the board. All new posts on a "thread" (a thread = the original post plus all responses) move the thread to the top of the board. Members are allowed to bump up their thread once a day. Please see here:
11. Contact Admin/Forum Leaders (Dave Hagan & Chris P) by clicking on "View Forum Leaders" beneath the "Wanted" forum at the bottom of the Home Page. You can contact JumbleTown HQ by clicking on "Contact Us", which is above the list of Local Authority Links at the bottom of the Home Page.
12. Selling-on Items? Do people sell-on items they've sourced on JumbleTown?
Please see here for details: http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=44356
13. Collecting Items: Takers must make their own collection arrangements off the public forum.
Please see here for details:
"Collection Only" MEANS "Collection Only" - No requests for posting. Details here:
14. Raffles: No "raffle-style" ads, please. Details here:
15. No Requesting Items on Behalf of Other Members.
16. Sending Items through the Post: Since JumbleTown was established, Admin's advice has been that Members should not send any item through the post.Members should refrain from making any posts in the Support Forum re: the sending of items through the post, the late or non-arrival of SAEs or indeed items, or the failure of a Member to send the right amount of money to cover P+P. Details here:
17. Latest Page-View: After you've made a post, or every few minutes or so, you should refresh your page to get the most up-to-the-minute page-view. The refresh button is usually at the top left of your toolbar...or press the F5 key (top row of your keyboard).
18. Good communications are key to the site's success. For example,
when arranging for an item's collection, we recommend that Givers and Takers phone each other ONE HOUR before the agreed time. This is to confirm that the later appointment is still mutually convenient. More tips on Good Communication can be found...here:
19. Netiquette -- minding one's Ps and Qs on the site:
Please see link below:
20. User Names: Please see below for details:
21. Promoting JumbleTown: Would you like to play your part in spreading the word about JumbleTown? Why not put up an A4-sized JumbleTown poster in your place of work, local library, or community centre? The poster consists of a description of JumbleTown (half a page) and two images (JumbleTown's logo and the "Kitchener figure" as shown at the bottom of this post). Posters come in black & white or colour.
You can download a JumbleTown poster here: http://www.jumbletown.ie/posters.htm
22. Our Media Diary is here: http://www.jumbletown.ie/media2.htm
23. Links to Local Authorities/Councils: JumbleTown gratefully receives funding for promotional purposes from a number of Local Authorities under the Local Agenda 21 Scheme. Links to Local Authorities in the Republic of Ireland can be found at the top and bottom of the Home Page. The Northern Ireland Local Authorities can be found here:
24. Why JumbleTown was set up: An OECD report in March 2006 stated that Ireland produces more waste per capita than any other developed nation in the world, including the USA. JumbleTown is trying to dispel the notion that the Irish are the biggest shower of wasters in the world! More here:
25. Awards and Nominations: JumbleTown is an award-winning eco-community of Life-cyclers/Re-Users (Givers and Takers). In 2008, JumbleTown won "Best Green Community" in the EnviroCom Awards, and was shortlisted for the National Green Awards and the Golden Spider Awards. Details below:
26. Dublin Area Postcodes: Details and map below:
D1 – City Centre / O'Connell Street, IFSC
D2 – Temple Bar, Grafton Street
D3 – North Strand, Fairview, Clontarf
D4 – Ringsend, Sandymount, Ballsbridge, Donnybrook
D5 - Raheny
D6 – Ranelagh, Rathmines, Rathgar
D6w – Terenure, Kimmage
D7 – Four Courts area, Castleknock
D8 – Kilmainham, Inchicore, Dolphin's Barn
D9 – Whitehall
D10 – Ballyfermot
D11 – Finglas
D12 – Crumlin, Drimnagh, Walkinstown
D13 – Bayside, Sutton, Baldoyle, Howth
D14 – Churchtown, most of Dundrum, Balally, Rathfarnham
D15 – Lucan, Clonsilla, Blanchardstown
D16 – Sandyford, part of Dundrum
D17 – Coolock
D18 – Cabinteely, Stepaside
D20 – Palmerstown
D22 – Clondalkin
D24 – Tallaght
S = South County Dublin, including part of Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown County Council Administrative area;
N = North County Dublin, including part of Fingal County Council administrative area;
W = West County Dublin, including part of South Dublin County Council administrative area.
|JumbleTown Sponsored Links|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|